Thursday, June 26, 2008

Ever seen a Bible fly?

So, I just wanted to make a quick post to let y'all know what's been going on. This has been quite a busy week. The Rev has done 2 leadership training courses, back to back, and is hoping to finish up the second one later this evening. He has been training key leaders and pastors from various communities in church-planting by using biblical storytelling model that comes from one of our partnering organizations Scriptures in Use.
The girls and I have been making trips into town to visit folks and spend time around. We have been riding the public transportation, which is always interesting and crowded. Yesterday we rode in a very small, very packed bus that had music blaring the whole time, the sort of music with the boom-boom base in it, enough to make my stomach queasy as it bumped with every beat. It sort of made me feel like an old lady, complaining about the youngsters who won't turn their music down. Anyway, it's been a fun week...up until last night.
We were winding down for the evening. The girls had gone to bed and we (the adults) were relaxing in the sitting room. I had my Bible on my lap as I was doing my evening reading, when all of a sudden, a flying roach from the pit of hell landed smack in the middle of Isaiah 17. I knew that God had a word for that roach defiantly distracting me from my time with the Lord, so I calmly and firmly rebuked it in the name of Jesus Christ and sent it away!
Not really. I absolutely flipped my lid, and Bible, pen, roach and all went flying across the room and top speed! I screamed like a little girl and immediately curled my feet up into the chair, demanding for someone to kill that roach!! Of course, the Africans in the room, my husband included, were laughing hysterically at me. Silly white girl.
Roaches are evil, though, and should all be destroyed. I'm sure my Bible says that somewhere.
Love y'all. I'll update again shortly.

6 comments:

  1. You NEVER did like bugs - any kind of bug, especially spiders. You're not in Kansas anymore (they have bugs too - really). Loved the blog and you too.
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having been there and knowing what the bugs are like, I can't blame you! :) I would have done the same thing. I'm praying for you and your family while you're out being the hands and feet of Christ to Kenya.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roaches are yummy with garlic and butter!!
    Love to hear of your adventures.
    Went overseas with my son Luke in June, so I am relating to the jet lag and sultural differences, but you adapt.
    Blessings to all of you,
    Jody and Phil Summersett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shauna! (It's Sarah from 222) I would have flipped out with that huge bug too! YIKES!
    I miss you and am so happy to be able to stay updated with your blogging! You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can totally feel your pain. Had a spider the size of a small dog in my room one time. It actually caused a prolonged heart arrhythmia....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that my Danielle that just left that note? Sissy. lol.

    Anyway, I can't wait to see you guys next because I am quite familiar with the SIU training, but I haven't really been able to see the _effect_ of the training. I really am curious how effective it is turning out to be.

    Btw, that roach passage is clearly somewhere in Deuteronomy.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Feel welcome to share...