Friday, June 13, 2008

Cultural Differences

I have learned through our travels that cultural diversity is something to be embraced, cherished, enjoyed. For instance, this morning at breakfast, there was an Asian man sitting at the table next to us. He was thoroughly enjoying his meal, and when he had finished, he sat back and let out the loudest belch I have ever heard. I mean, a lip-reverberating, toe curling, belly deflating beeeeelllllllch. Seriously, y’all, it would have made most men quite envious. I was quite impressed, and in my most mature moment, could not help but laugh out loud, as if I myself had just been caught farting (which I wasn’t!). But then I could not stop giggling about it. Seriously, y’all. It was so loud. And the best part was that after that, the man sat back in his seat with a look of absolute satisfaction and pride. His belly was full, his mouth was happy, and he had just let everyone know. It was a priceless moment. Even as I type this now, tears are streaming down my cheeks as I am giggling too hard. So mature.

It’s a beautiful thing when the nations come together. Scripture says that folks from every nation, tongue, tribe, and language will come together before the Throne of Grace. I just wonder what that will be like, what that will look like. There are so many people groups out there, so many different tribes, so many different ways to worship and live out this Christ-life. I just wonder what it will look like around that throne.

And in my oh-so-grown up mind, I can’t help but wonder if there will be belching.

1 comment:

  1. I think that in my husband's heaven it won't be so restrained. I can see many men agreeing with you on that one! I can see you giggling like a school girl... I can't say much... I'm doing it right now too!! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Feel welcome to share...