Friday, July 16, 2010

Being Rooted and Established in Love

Scripture: Ephesians 3:16-19
I pray that out of his glorious riches, he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Observation:

This was Paul's prayer for the Church in Ephesus, together with all the saints. By faith, Christ dwells in our hearts. Just as the Father loves to give and provide for His children,

Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
out of His riches and wealth, He strengthens His children with power through His spirit. It is by this spirit that our faith may be increased and grown, and the indwelling of Christ may be ever more present. Paul prayed that we would be rooted and established in love, as perfect love drives out all fear and covers a multitude of sins. Perfect love overlooks offenses and demonstrated the grace and mercy of Christ, that same grace and mercy that was shown to us.
For this reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 2 Peter 1:5-7
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear. 1 John 4:18
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8
As we are truly rooted and established in love, it becomes more than knowledge to us, but transforms our hearts and changes us completely. This sort of love and transformation fills a person, so that she may then love and serve out of her wealth, and trying to give out of her depravity.

Application:

Oh mercy, this one has been rattling around on my mind and in my heart all day long...to be rooted and established in love...to be rooted and established in love...to be rooted and established in love, which has then forced me to ask the question of what that looks like.

1 Corinthians 13 lays out what love is...

patient
kind
does not envy
does not boast
is not proud
is not rude
is not self-seeking
is not easily angered
keep no record of wrongs
does not delight in evil
rejoices with the truth
always protects
always trusts
always hopes
always perseveres
Never fails.

Ouch. To be rooted and established in this...there is much work still to be done in my life. What I know is that I cannot do these things by my own might. Believe me. I have tried. It turns out to be a white-knuckle experience which fails in the end, and leaves me frustrated for an apparent lack of growth.
 

But to be rooted and established in love is to dwell in the fullness of God, resting in all that He has already done, focusing on the price already paid rather than the things going on around me. To be filled to the measure of fullness of God is to have my heart set on Him, and then live out the grace that He has already shown, because I have been shown much grace.

This means letting others off the hook. This means looking past offenses that would otherwise easily anger me. This means practicing the delicate art of letting all things go, remaining in absolute love and peace with Jesus. This means planting myself like a tree, by streams of water, not bending and breaking from the challenges that life may have to offer, but swaying gently and peacefully as the love of Jesus holds me firm.

Prayer:


Father,

I confess that I have failed in showing love to others. I confess that I had forgotten how wide and long and high and deep your love for me is, and I was trying to live and serve out my depravity, rather than being filled to the measure of all the fullness of You. I tried to do things by my own might, which is limitless and broken, at best, rather than resting in You, trusting in You, growing in You.

Please, Father, help me to remember. Help me to not forget what you did for me Jesus. I want to be an ambassador of Christ who is well rooted and established in Christ, so that I tell of You well. Please Father, help me to write these words upon my heart, that they may be a constant reminder to me of where my help comes from and that my life is full and satisfied because of You.

Thank you for your grace. Thank you for your patience. Thank you for your mercy. And thank you now for another chance to get it right. Praise you Jesus. I am full.

Your beloved daughter,

Shauna



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Feel welcome to share...