Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day 2, Cruising Along

Within the realm of eating, I have become something I do not like. I snack in the dark, indulging ridiculous cravings from sweets and carbs, filling the gut with that which cannot fulfill me, but simply fill me for a short while. For a moment it leaves me feeling satisfied, only to require more the next time a pang raises its ugly head.

It reminds me of the Samaritan woman whom Jesus met at the well in the town of Sychar. Jesus was sitting by the well when the woman came to draw water. Jesus asked the woman to give him a drink of that water, as he was tired from the journey.

The woman replied, "You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?" (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.)

Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

"Sir," the woman said, "you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds?"

Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him, will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will be come in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

I snack in the dark to hide what I know I should not be doing. I snack in the dark, as if doing in the dark will nullify the action, but it only leaves me wanting more. It leaves me thirsty.

We are called to walk in the Light in all things. In every aspect of our lives, we are called to walk in the Light. It takes away all reasons for non-believers to mock us and mock our God. We are called to walk with integrity and discipline, free from our sins by the mighty blood of Jesus Christ. We are called to be exposed, unafraid, unashamed. Because when we expose our brokenness, we are able to begin healing.

I should not need to sneak around when I am walking in obedience to God. I should not feel guilty or ashamed when I am properly fueling and taking care of this temple that has been entrusted to me, for my good and for His glory.

We are called to walk in the Light, and seek after the Living Water, that which quenches the thirst and leaves us wanting no more.

No more snacking in the dark. This stronghold will be broken.



Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. As someone who has struggled with an eating disorder as well as poor body image, I am very much enjoying your posts about food and faith as well as your honesty.

    God bless you in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Day 2! You can do it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Feel welcome to share...