Thursday, June 4, 2009

Lactation Station

So, a couple of days ago, I was able to sneak away in the afternoon while everyone was napping (my husband was home) in order to do the grocery shopping for week without kids. Yeah for that idea! So I diligently nursed the baby and put her down for a happy nap, and snuck quietly out the door. 

Now, this is our third child, so I have done the breastfeeding bit before. By this time, I tend to know my body, and my, ahem, schedule for milk production. I have never been one to leak milk. I have heard all kinds of stories of mommies who spray milk at the mere thought of a crying baby, or who are able to squirt milk with each flex of a muscle (I must admit that one is a little odd, but each to her own!). But not me. I have always seem to make just enough to get by. Even in the worst days of that initial engorgement, I don't seem to leak. With that said, I have never had the need to wear pads to absorb said leakage. It's just never really been a problem for me. And whenever I am able to sneak away from the baby for a bit, I have always just nursed her anyway, so I am usually fairly drained.

But for some reason, this particular day at the grocery store, meandering down the cereal aisle, I felt a let down as if a faucet had just been turned on, and looked down to see that my pretty lilac colored polo now had two rather large, rather dark wet spots, front and center chest. There wasn't even a baby crying! There was absolutely no reason for this particular let down! It hadn't even been an hour since I fed the baby, and I was only half-way done with my grocery shopping. Needless to say, there was slight blushing taking place in the cheeks, as I tried to now use my shopping list to as a cover for my chest, holding it very close to my chest as I checked off the things I needed to buy, and moving a little faster than I had been previously. 
Ahhh, the joys of mommyhood.

Grace and peace y'all.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I know who the flexing friend is ;) Welcome to the world of spaying mommies.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Feel welcome to share...