Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I long to see that community


All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had. With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all. There was no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it al the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to anyone as he had need.
So goes the description of the early Church, conceived out of the crucifixion of Christ, birthed out of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, grown under the weight of the persecution of the surrounding Roman empire. In those days, the Romans presented a brute military presence, marching through territories claiming, "Peace through Victory!" crucifying those who resist. This young budding church, though, was a thorn in the flesh of the an otherwise dominating empire. This Church refused to pledge their allegiance to Caesar. They refused to shout out, "Caesar is Lord." They refused to contribute to the machine that had built up the most powerful world super-power at that point in history. They were underground. They were subversive. They were rebels. They were generous, forgiving, and welcoming.

Oh, how I long to see that community. In previous posts, I have talked about the idea of giving it all away for the sake of others, pouring ourselves out, hoarding nothing for our own sake, but giving it all away. I see here in Acts 4, it says, "No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had." That's powerful. Could you imagine seeing that fleshed out? Does that mean that everyone sold everything and gave it to the church? I would imagine not, as that would leave everyone homeless. Look further down that passage in verse 34:

"For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money form the sales and put it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to anyone as he had need."

As needs arose, the body responded. If a widow needed medical attention but could not afford it, a field could be sold to provide for her need. If mouths were going unfed because the resources were not available, a house could be sold to provide resources. It was all community property.

But even if the field or house were not sold, no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, whether they sold it to give the profits to the church or remained with it. It was still not a possession to be claimed. It was all community property. It was all a gift that was given, and could easily be taken away.

My house...not my house, but community property.
My car...not my car, but community property.
God has provided these things, not for me to hoard, but to be used for His glory, for His name's sake, for His Kingdom work. Is that what I'm doing with them? Oh, how I hate questions like that. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is so selfish and weak.

That would change things a bit, wouldn't it. More later. My head is spinning in that tonight.



Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. I as well hate questions like that, but desire it none the less. The very questions of what to give & where to give when there are so many people and places in need is what seems hard to me sometimes... if we give one place then it may mean I don't have it to give to others. Then what is okay to actually have like you mentioned?? At what point are we hoarding? Is it beyond anything over a roof over our head? And at this point in my questioning is where I must fall at the feet of Jesus... His wisdom and compassion is what I'm seeking in all things. I seem to always be reminded that I can't outgive God, for it is all His! So it seems that if there is ever a question in my mind, then just give it! And then I'm to that place, the willing spirit and the darned selfish flesh... help me Lord, teach me Lord, loose my hands...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough questions! And I totally agree with Katrina, that we must constantly seek God's guidance. In all things really, but for our properties and monies especially...whether we have in abundance or are receiving from others. It takes a great amount of grace to be in either position.

    As Christ-followers, we desire to be obedient. We desire to be good stewards. We desire to meet needs. We desire to be generous. Yet I am reminded that if I do all these good things, but have not love I am noting and I gain nothing.

    And that is why, to me, it seems ridiculous to “distribute to anyone as he has need” apart from the great power of the Holy Spirit. God, The God who is Love, can know the needs, direct the giving, orchestrate the timing and lavish the grace necessary to make it all happen. He did it for the apostles, He did it for the early church, He does it now through The Church and through Christ-followers everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Feel welcome to share...