Saturday, March 29, 2008

Faith in Hope

At all times in this walk, this journey that we are on, our faith calls us to set aside desires that we cling to, longings of the heart that seem so big and so insurmountable, so difficult to let go of. And yet we are called to set them aside. When Christ hit his knees in the garden of Gethsemane, weeping and praying, he said in the end, "Yet I want your will to be done, not mine." Even the One who was there from the beginning of time set aside his own will, for the sake of the Father, and ultimately, the sake of us all.
But sometimes a longing just doesn't go away. It lingers, sometimes slumbers and other times rears its head just long enough to let you know it is still around. You hear it talked about in conversations, in daydreams, in places you go. Sometimes it just hovers over all that you do. Proverbs 13:12 says, "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life."
It leaves me wondering if God is speaking, reassuring me that He has heard my precious heart, He knows my deepest longings, even those ones that are unspoken. Or is my flesh pushing for something that ought not be? Am I clinging to something that is not to be, that is not for our best? Either way, my Father, I will trust in You in all things. If it is to be so, I trust that Your timing is the perfect path, and so I will wait patiently and confidently, sure that the place we are in is the place that You would have us be. And if it is not to be, then I will trust in Your perfect peace to know that the place we are in is the place You would have us to be. Whatever You want, that's what I want.
I will trust in the promises that I know to be true, and rest confidently knowing that You know the longings of my heart because You hold my heart in Your hands. I will trust in Your timing and Your will, and I will place my faith in the hope of Christ and all that is to come.
"Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see." Hebrews 11:1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Feel welcome to share...