Monday, February 8, 2010

Perfect Love Drives Out All Fear

One of my favorite book series is "The Chronicles of Narnia" and there is a line that has stuck with me for years. The children are learning about Aslan, the lion, and one of the children says, "Is he safe?"

The answer that came is so powerful and speaks to the character of God.

He's not safe, but He is good.

That is my God. He is anything but safe, but He is good. As I sat there that morning, with the pressing question of trust whirling around my heart, that line came to my mind once again. He's not safe, but He's good.

In order for me to trust God, in all the uncertainties and unpredictable possibilities, I must know that I know that I know that God is good. Whatever answer He decides to give is based on His goodness and His sovereignty to know the best possible solution to bring the most glory and honor to His Name, even when my limited vision says otherwise.

Perfect love drives out all fear, and so that morning, on my knees in the bathroom, I answered, "Yes, I will trust You. You are in control and I will trust that your sovereignty is bigger than all of this."

You see, in order to trust God with the best of care of my dad, I must firmly believe that God is real and personal and hears the cries of His children. I must firmly know that not only does He hear them, but that He cares. Then I must believe that He is good as His Word says He is. And I must trust that whatever answer He gives is the best. Whatever answer.

I guess for many people these things might be obvious and easy, quick Christianese would have belted these things out without a flinch, but as one who has felt the disappointment of unanswered prayers, who has felt the sting of God "not coming through," who has felt the pain of being let down, these things are quite a challenge. Because now I wasn't just asking for provision for a bill to be paid, or hopes that the family van would be fixed, but the life of my daddy. This was much bigger. And I had a make a choice.

With tears streaming and heart aching, I opened my hands in surrender. "I am interceding on behalf of my father's life. I trust You in all things."

I love you Jesus. I love that you have such patience and love for us to allow us to work out our salvation with fear and trembling. I love you because You are trustworthy and good. I love that while are you not safe, your plan is amazing and the promise of eternity with You is true. You are worth it all. I thank you for healing my daddy and giving him another day to serve You here on earth. I thank you for watching over and keeping my mom in the midst of all this. You gave her strength and clarity in a stressful time. I love you for all that and more. Your name is a shelter like no other, and I will cling to it. I love you.



Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Shauna,

    It is so important to me that you know how much reading your blog touches me. I look forward to reading new entries and 'hearing' what you have to say. I like that you willing let me in to your private world. Just wanted to say thanks. So, thanks with love.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Feel welcome to share...